Friday, March 6, 2009

Mateo's Corner: Not Fashion or Music

Written by Guest Blogger Mateo:
I was planning on writing my column this week either on the great wing-tips I’ve rediscovered after a couple years being a little too deep in my closet or, alternately, on the proper shoe to wear with a navy suit.
However, it is Friday afternoon. You don’t want to read about that. I don’t really want to write about it. Instead, I’m writing about bourbon.

On May 4th, 1964, the U.S. Congress created federal standards for the spirit. Highlights from the standards:
- Bourbon hails only from Kentucky.
- The grain mixture from which bourbon is distilled must contain >51% corn.
- It must be aged in new oak barrels. In fact, most wine makers will buy these barrels to age their wine in.

I love bourbon for its sweet, silky taste. Common tasting notes are vanilla, caramel, and tobacco. My personal favorites are Booker’s, Basil Hayden’s, Woodford Reserve, and Buffalo Trace. I either drink it with a little water (no ice), as a manhattan with sweet vermouth, bitters and a little simple syrup (shaken vigorously), or as an old fashioned with bitters, a little simple syrup, and a big peel of grapefruit in the glass. Class it up by serving in a snifter.

Go out. Enjoy a glass tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment